The latest ranking of states with the best brain health are released, and Maryland gets top bragging rights.
The 2014 America’s Brain Health Index ranks states on 21 measures, including mental health, social well-being, and nutrition. Maryland is Number One for high consumption of fish–which is linked to better brain health–and low rates of Alzheimer’s deaths, and smokers. The state does not, however, have high levels of religious and spiritual activities, which are factored into the rankings.
Here are the top 10 states for good brain health:
- District of Columbia
- New York
- New Hampshire
And here are the 10 worst:
- North Dakota
Check out more data about each state here.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science