Only a day after her son killed two people at a Maryland mall, a woman who identified herself as the mother of the 19-year-old shooter told reporters her son was “gentle.”
“I don’t know what happened. I really don’t,” said the woman, according to ABC News. “You can talk to any of his friends and see what a gentle person he is. He never had a gun before, never interested in guns. I don’t know what happened. I just don’t know what happened.”
On Sunday, Darion Marcus Aguilar shot 25-year-old Tyler Johnson and 21-year-old Brianna Benlolo with a 12-gauge shotgun on the upper level of Columbia Mall, Md, before turning the gun on himself. Both victims were employees at a skate shop in the shopping center; Benlolo was mother to a two-year-old child, and was from College Park, the same city as Aguilar.
Police said they are still investigating the shooter’s motive.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now