Only a day after her son killed two people at a Maryland mall, a woman who identified herself as the mother of the 19-year-old shooter told reporters her son was “gentle.”
“I don’t know what happened. I really don’t,” said the woman, according to ABC News. “You can talk to any of his friends and see what a gentle person he is. He never had a gun before, never interested in guns. I don’t know what happened. I just don’t know what happened.”
On Sunday, Darion Marcus Aguilar shot 25-year-old Tyler Johnson and 21-year-old Brianna Benlolo with a 12-gauge shotgun on the upper level of Columbia Mall, Md, before turning the gun on himself. Both victims were employees at a skate shop in the shopping center; Benlolo was mother to a two-year-old child, and was from College Park, the same city as Aguilar.
Police said they are still investigating the shooter’s motive.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Francesca Trianni at firstname.lastname@example.org