Peruvian officials have agreed to extradite Joran van der Sloot to the U.S, but not until he finishes serving his 28-year prison sentence for murdering Stephany Flores in his Lima hotel room in 2012.
U.S. officials hope to try van der Sloot for extorting and defrauding the mother of Natalee Holloway, an Alabama teenager who disappeared during a trip to the Caribbean island of Aruba in 2005, reports the AP.
American authorities claim the Dutch national received $25,000 from Holloway’s family on the condition that he takes an attorney to where her body could be found in 2010.
Van der Sloot was the last person seen with Holloway before she disappeared.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time