True Detective fans took to Twitter Sunday evening to complain of apparently wide-reaching HBO GO technical troubles preventing them from viewing the hit show’s finale. HBO GO is HBO’s online content platform.
Many users shared screenshots of a stalled loading screen:
HBO tweeted Sunday evening the problem is affecting “some users” and is related to “overwhelmingly popular demand” for the show:
While some observers speculated the problem might be an attempt by HBO to clamp down on subscribers sharing their usernames and passwords with non-paying users, HBO CEO Richard Plepler recently said he doesn’t mind customers sharing their login information.
“What we’re in the business of is building addicts, building video addicts,” Plepler said in an interview, “and the way we do that is exposing our product and our shows and our brand to more and more people.”
(Disclosure: HBO is a subsidiary of Time Warner, which also owns TIME Inc.).
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time