A team of researchers at a penguin colony tricked a falcon by disguising a camera as an unhatched egg — and what a beautiful prank it turned out to be. The falcon — a striated caracara — snatched the “egg” and took off, capturing beautiful aerial views of the penguin colony below.
Alas, after about 30 seconds, the egg cam slips from the falcon’s grasp and falls to the ground. A pair of turkey vultures tries to get in on the action, but they prove to be less skilled than the falcon and just send it tumbling down a hill.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement