Poroshenko—who earned the moniker of “Chocolate King” thanks to his vast financial empire in the candy business—said his first priority would be to end the conflict in Eastern Ukraine and to strengthen ties with the European Union. But in a country where the smell of revolutionary revanchism is still in the air, will the tycoon-turned-politician be able to appease both international and domestic tensions?
TIME’s Editor Dan Stewart talks about the challenges ahead for the newly elected Ukrainian president.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time