Brown University has refused to comment on the noticeably older-looking woman seated next to actress Emma Watson during her graduation ceremony, who was later photographed with a holstered handgun and a badge.
AP reports that university spokesman Mark Nickel was “not able to help” with questions regarding where the armed guard came from and why she seemed to be shadowing Watson throughout Sunday’s ceremony.
Watson, 24, starred as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series. Her undercover acquaintance is of an undetermined age and, according to police chief Steven Pare, is not employed as a Providence police officer.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now