Manuel “Meme” Uribe, once the heaviest man in the world, passed away Monday at 48, Guinness World Records reports.
The Associated Press reports that the passing of the Monterrey, Mexico, resident was confirmed by the health department of Nuevo Leon state. The cause of death remains unknown, but he was hospitalized earlier this month because of an abnormal heartbeat. A crane had to be use to transport him there.
Uribe, a former mechanic, had been bedridden since 2002, but did leave the house to get married to his longtime girlfriend Claudia Solis, who would cook him chicken fajitas and help him bathe, according to People. He arrived at the Oct. 26, 20o8, ceremony sitting in a white canopy bed in a white suit atop the back of a pickup truck. For the first dance, the bride and groom sat holding hands, swaying from side to side to the rhythm of a romantic song. His mother Orquedia Garza told the AP that he stuck to his diet that day and did not eat the wedding cake.
When Guinness World Record certified Uribe as the world’s heaviest man in January 2006, he weighed 1,235 pounds. The records organization said he reportedly slimmed down to 840 pounds in 2007, but gained some of it back, reportedly weighing 980 pounds by March 2012. He was on the Zone Diet at one point, and The Discovery Channel documented his weight loss journey in general.
As he once summed up the struggle to the AP, “People think that I can eat a whole cow but it’s not just overeating, it’s also a hormonal problem.”
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out