Krisanne Johnson for the Design Trust for Public Space
Tomas Munita—National Geographic
Today’s daily Photojournalism Links collection highlights Jonno Rattman‘s work on youth rodeo culture. The contestants from this past summer’s Youth Bull Riders World Finals in Abilene, Texas, rode everything from muttons to calves to bulls. Rattman’s photographs provide an insider’s perspective into their lifestyle and capture the grit and determination of these fearless girls and boys before, during and after their seconds-long rides strapped to the animals. It’s a fascinating look at a pastime that might seem a little odd to outsiders, but that certainly commands respect for the young riders.
Jonno Ratmann: Eight Seconds of Glory (The New Yorker Photo Booth)
Krisanne Johnson: Elevated (The New York Times Lens) These photographs document New York’s elevated transport infrastructure through the city’s people.
When Falling Off a Horse is Part of the Job Description (National Geographic) Insightful video looking at Tomás Munita’s first National Geographic assignment documenting cowboys in Chilean Patagonia. Video is accompanied with a text by his photo editor Elizabeth Krist.
The Best Photobooks of 2014 (TIME LightBox) A selection of this year’s best photo books as chosen by TIME’s photo editors and industry experts.
Review: Christopher Anderson on Peter Van Agtmael (Aperture – The PhotoBook Review) Anderson reviews his Magnum colleague’s Disco Night Sept. 11 book.
Photojournalism Links is a compilation of the most interesting photojournalism found on the web, curated by Mikko Takkunen, Associate Photo Editor at TIME. Follow him on Twitter @photojournalism.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief