Propaganda posters line the stairways, the elevators don’t work, and Molotov cocktails lie ready near the main entrance. That’s the picture in the halls of power in eastern Ukraine’s disputed region of Donetsk.
This vast regional government building was taken over by pro-Russian protesters in early April and is now barricaded with barbed wire, the AFP reports.
In the video above, pro-Russian volunteers work in the headquarters of the self-proclaimed People’s Republic of Donetsk, and talk about fighting against what they see as an illegitimate regime based in Kiev.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow