Here are the stories TIME is watching this Friday, May 16:
- Riots rock Brazil just weeks before the World Cup. The government is spending billions of dollars on the tournament, leaving protestors furious.
- The FCC advanced new Internet rules that could allow content companies to buy a “fast lane” for their content.
- Arkansas issues same-sex marriage licenses while Idaho puts them on hold.
- Being pretty helps you get elected. A new study shows that participants could predict whether a female candidate would win or lose an election within a fraction of a second after seeing the candidate’s face.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time