Get ready to have the four notes of the mockingjay’s song stuck in your head.
With the first half of the movie adaptation of the final Hunger Games book, Mockingjay, due in theaters in about six months, Lionsgate has just launched a website devoted to giving fans an early look at the film. It’s got a motion poster (it looks like the poster shown here, but it moves) and photos (including Julianne Moore as President Coin) and a peek at a page from the script.
There’s also a Q&A with the filmmakers, full of tidbits of information, such as:
When the movie starts, Katniss isn’t doing so well. Director Francis Lawrence says that the post-traumatic stress disorder in Katniss’ life is “ratcheted up” at the beginning of Mockingjay.
We’ll be seeing more of Effie Trinket. Though Elizabeth Banks’ character doesn’t feature prominently in the book, Lawrence says that she sticks around in the movies.
There will be no CGI Philip Seymour Hoffman. The actor’s death did come before he completed filming his scenes for the movie, but Lawrence says the scenes left to do didn’t involve dialogue. They were able to splice existing footage of Hoffman into the film without creating a digital double.
Not every question gets a satisfying answer — Lawrence punts on where in the book the first movie will end — but it’s a tantalizing start. It’s also a hint that — when it comes to buzz starting early and staying strong — the odds are ever in The Hunger Games‘ favor.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time