TIME

Geoffrey Canada and the New Harlem Renaissance

When Geoffrey Canada founded the Harlem Children’s Zone 17 years ago, it was a one-block pilot program of wrap-around services for school children in Harlem. Today it covers 100 city blocks and serves thousands, providing everything from great education to early-childhood programs. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan wrote for the TIME 100 in 2011 that Canada “has shown time and again that education is the surest path out of poverty.

TIME TIME 100

Ai-jen Poo: Organizing for Transformation

A child of immigrants creates social change from the bottom up

Director of the National Domestic Workers Alliance Ai-jen Poo first found her calling toward social justice in the mid-1990s, when she was a student at Columbia University. As organizer of the Women Workers Project at CAAAV in New York City, she was incensed to see how domestic workers–often immigrants and women of color–toiled long hours for low pay as maids, nannies and elderly caregivers.

Over the next 17 years, her efforts to understand and organize domestic workers in New York helped earn her the trust of thousands of women who had been too often treated like they were expendable, even though they were responsible for raising children, caring for the ill and aged and charged with making the daily lives of millions of families easier.

The Domestic Workers United Poo co-founded in 2000 galvanized a city-wide, multiracial coalition of of workers and eventually led New York State to pass the nation’s first Domestic Workers Bill of Rights in 2010. That legislation extended basic labor protections to more than 200,000 domestic workers in the state and, as a consequence, helped prompt California, Hawaii and the U.S. Government to follow suit.

In 2012, TIME honored Ai-jen as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World. Journalist and feminist icon Gloria Steinem praised her at the time as a “gifted” and “empathic” leader who was making history by “showing the humanity of a long devalued kind of work.”

TIME Crime

PETA Won’t Be Turning Serial Killer’s House into Vegan Restaurant After All

Suspected serial killer Jeffrey L. Dahmer enters t
Suspected serial killer Jeffrey L. Dahmer enters the courtroom of judge Jeffrey A. Wagner 06 August 1991. Eugene Garcia—AFP/Getty Images

The animal rights organization had mulled converting Jeffrey Dahmer's childhood home in Ohio, the site of his first of 17 murders, into a vegan eating establishment but local zoning laws and issues over plumbing and waste disposal have foiled the plans

PETA has given up on its plans to turn serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer’s childhood home into a vegan restaurant.

The animal rights organization had proposed that the notorious murderer and cannibal’s home in Bath Township, Ohio could become a restaurant called Eat for Life: Home Cooking. But local authorities nixed the idea, PETA said in a statement.

“We regret that we won’t be able to move forward with this project, even though it was met with some enthusiasm as well as some derisive comments,” a PETA spokesperson Moira Colley said. “Although some people thought the home’s out-of-the-way location was a deal breaker, that was not our opinion. And we were delighted that the real-estate agent representing the home was as enthusiastic about the project as we were. However, getting zoning for a restaurant on this site is apparently impossible, in part because of issues with the plumbing and waste systems.”

The house was the site of the first of 17 murders committed by Dahmer. In 1978, he killed a 19-year-old hitchhiker before dismembering him and scattering his remains across the property. The three-bedroom home went on the market for $295,000 this week.

TIME Crime

At Least 22 Injured in Mass Stabbing at Pa. High School

Parents and students embrace near Franklin Regional High School after more than a dozen students were stabbed by a knife wielding suspect at the school in Murrysville, Pa., April 9, 2014.
Parents and students embrace near Franklin Regional High School after more than a dozen students were stabbed by a knife wielding suspect at the school in Murrysville, Pa., April 9, 2014. Sean Stipp—Tribune Review/AP

A 10th-grader suspected in the slashing spree at a high school near Pittsburgh, Pa., on Wednesday has been charged with four counts of attempted homicide and 21 counts of aggravated assault

Updated at 8:12 a.m. ET

A 10th-grader suspected of committing a stabbing rampage at a Pennsylvania high school on Wednesday has been charged as an adult with four counts of attempted homicide and 21 other counts.

The suspect, identified as 16-year-old sophomore Alex Hribal, injured at least 22 people before being taken into custody, the Associated Press reports. The teenager reportedly had a “blank expression” on his face as he slashed at his victims. He was being held without bail Thursday in a juvenile detention center.

Many of the victims—at least 21 students and a security guard—were critically wounded and hospitalized, though there were conflicting reports about how many. No deaths had been reported by Thursday morning. Several of the victims from the Franklin Regional High School outside Pittsburgh suffered life-threatening injuries, health officials said, but all were expected to survive. Eight patients were transported to nearby Forbes Hospital, including three male students between 15- and 17-years-old who suffered relatively deep single stab wounds with a wide knife. One of the three was in stable condition while the two others the hospital described as “critical but stable.”

“It was penetrating enough to damage multiple organs,” Chief Medical Officer Dr. Mark Rubino said. Four more male students at the facility suffered superficial injuries and one 60-year-old adult was treated for a non-stabbing medical issue and released.

Police said the suspect used kitchen-style knives between eight and 10 inches long in the attack. A motive for the attack at the school, about 18 miles east of Pittsburgh in Murrysville, was not yet known. Officials said the student brought two knives into the school. Mark Drear, the vice president of a security company with personnel at the school, said on CNN that the suspect “was just running down the hall stabbing kids as they were going by.”

One student described Hribal as introverted, but claimed she was unaware of him exhibiting violent tendencies in the past.

“He didn’t talk to many people,” Mia Meixner, a sophomore, told USA TODAY. “He wasn’t mean or anything, he just wasn’t outgoing.”

Police said the school’s principal tackled the suspect and helped with the arrest, along with security guards on the premises. The stabbing took place in several classrooms and hallways as the school day began.

“I was shocked and saddened upon learning of the events that occurred this morning as students arrived at Franklin Regional High School,” Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett said in a statement. “As a parent and grandparent, I can think of nothing more distressing than senseless violence against children. My heart and prayers go out to all the victims and their families.”

Victims were being treated for stab wounds to their torso, abdomen, chest and back areas. Three medical helicopters and dozens of ambulances were dispatched to the scene, the local CBS affiliate reports. The stabbings occurred in the science wing of the school building at 7:13 a.m., people on the scene said, and lasted for about 15 minutes before the student was apprehended.

Franklin Regional school district canceled all elementary classes.

[AP]

TIME Healthcare

Tiny Share of Doctors Get Big Slice of Medicare Pie

Newly released data that details how Medicare pays doctors for specific procedures shows the top 2% of the highest-paid doctors who accept Medicare accounted for a significant portion of the federal program's costs, likely leading to changes in insurance practices

A single Florida ophthalmologist was paid $21 million by Medicare in 2012, according to federal data released Wednesday that shows a tiny sliver of U.S. doctors who accept Medicare account for an outsize proportion of the insurance program’s costs.

Medicare payments to 880,000 doctors nationwide totaled roughly $77 billion in 2012. But the top 2 percent of highest-paid doctors who accept Medicare accounted for about $15 billion in payments under the system, almost a quarter of the total not including commercial entity payments, according to data analyzed by the New York Times.

The data shows in detail for the first time how Medicare pays doctors for specific procedures. Fraud investigators, health insurance plans and researchers will sort through the new data with a fine-tooth comb in the upcoming weeks, likely leading to lawsuits and changes in insurance practices.

“There’s a lot of potential for whistle-blowers and justified worry for fraudsters,” Steven F. Grover, a lawyer who represents whistle-blowers who sue doctors they claim have committed Medicare fraud, told the Times. “There’s going to be a lot of litigation over this.”

In 2012, 100 doctors received a total of $610 million from Medicare payouts, and about 3,300 ophthalmologists were paid $3.3 billion from Medicare, the Times reports. Medicare paid $12 billion for 214 million office and outpatient visits—most of them outpatient visits between 15 and 25 minutes long. The doctors and nurse practitioners were paid an average of $57 per visit.

Ophthalmology and oncology both accounted for a large chunk of Medicare spending.

The doctor’s group the American Medical Association has withheld Medicare data for decades, but a federal judge ruled last year the information could be made public. This release marks the first time since the 1970s that detailed figures on Medicare reimbursements have been made available.

[NYT]

 

TIME cities

Retired Nurse Saves Driver From Attacking Mob

A pickup driver under attack after running down a 10-year-old was saved by a retired nurse who stepped in and shielded him from the frenzied mob, local police say. Both the child and the driver have been hospitalized

A retired nurse may have saved a man’s life when she courageously stepped in to protect him from an enraged mob, Detroit Free Press reports.

Steve Utash found himself attacked by a crowd of around a dozen enraged bystanders after his truck struck a 10-year-old child in the Motor City’s east side. Retired nurse Deborah Hughes, who saw the accident from her home and rushed to care for the child, shielded the driver from attack.

“She’s a hero for it,” said Sgt. Michael Woody, Detroit police spokesman. “She saved that man’s life.”

Steve Utash is currently receiving treatment in hospital for critical head injuries, while the child has also been admitted, but is expected to make a full recovery. Three individuals have been charged with assault.

[Detroit Free Press]

 

TIME Crime

FBI Called In After Random Cars Shot at In Kansas City

Triangle
Concerned that the apparently random shootings will continue, Kansas City police urged drivers Monday to be vigilant, asked for help from federal agents and announced plans to strategize and share information among investigators daily. A view of the Grandview triangle where many shootings have happened. Rich Sugg—Getty Images

Investigators have been called in to connect the dots between at least 13 cases of vehicles in or around the Missouri city being targeted by an unknown and perhaps motiveless criminal who has injured three people so far

Following a rash of shootings targeting vehicles on the roads and highways in and around Kansas City, municipal officials are hoping the F.B.I. will help connect the dots behind the mysterious melee.

On Monday, Kansas City’s Chief of Police Darryl Forté sat down with representatives from the FBI to discuss the 13 reported cases of vehicles being targeted by unknown gunmen. Although three people have been hurt so far, none of the injuries were life threatening, according to the Associated Press.

“Some of the people didn’t realize they were being shot at, so when the incidents were reported they were taken down as possible property damage,” Capt. Tye Grant told the AP.

The incidents share similarities in location, timing and circumstances, but officials have been unable to retrieve any physical evidence that could connect them.

Forté is set to continue meeting with representatives from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which is offering a $7,000 reward for information leading to arrests.

[AP]

TIME shooting

Shooting at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina Leaves 1 Marine Dead

Authorities say the shooter at the Marine Corps base camp is no longer active

Updated 3:30 a.m. E.T. on Wednesday

A Marine fatally shot a fellow service member at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina Tuesday, the base said in a statement on Tuesday. The shooting occurred at around 5:30 p.m.

The gunman, a Marine standing guard at the base’s main gate, discharged an M4 rifle, killing another sentry, who was stationed inside a nearby guard shack.

Camp Lejeune’s provost marshal said the shooting is not thought to be an act of terrorism and that the shooter is no longer active. The guards’ identities have not yet been released, as the relatives are still being notified.

The incident at the marine base comes just days after a former solider went on a shooting spree at Fort Hood in Texas, killing four people, including himself, and injuring 16 people.

The camp’s spokesperson was quick to snub any comparison between today’s violence and the melee at Fort Hood last week.

“We understand that people are at a state of heightened sensitivity, given what happened over at Fort Hood,” Camp Lejeune spokesman Nat Fahy told the Associated Press and insisted that the camp was never placed under lockdown.

“It’s important that we convey that this is not a Fort Hood-like incident. It was an isolated incident that’s no longer active.”

Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating the incident.

TIME Terrorism

Up in the Sky—It’s a Bird, It’s a Plane, It’s the FBI

Members of the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team practice their parachuting skills. FBI

About an hour outside its headquarters in Quantico, Va., the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team offers “advanced skydiving techniques and training" so that agents can drop in undetected. (Or just maybe so they can reenact scenes from Point Break)

You never know how and where the bad guys are going to strike next. That explains the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team’s need for “advanced skydiving techniques and training”—so the good guys can also strike in unexpected ways, like from above.

While the HRT doesn’t disclose much about its business, it made clear Tuesday that its special needs require it to train with a Virginia parachuting outfit because no other firm can meet its unusual requirements.

FBI Special Agent Ann Todd declined to discuss the contract. “Due to to the sensitive nature of HRT’s work, we don’t release information involving specific tactical training or capabilities,” she said.

But it’s a nifty option to have when it comes to trying to rescue hostages. Under cover of darkness, for example, highly-trained HRT members could silently swoop in and surround an isolated location without betraying their arrival with the noise that accompanies helicopters.

Skydive Orange is the only available tactical drop zone within a one-hour driving distance from where the HRT is stationed,” the FBI says, referring to the team’s home base at Quantico, Va., about 35 miles southwest of Washington, D.C. “The facility has aircraft and crew on standby 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.”

Plus, training locally saves money. “The amount of equipment to support the training is in excess of 2000 lbs. and is driven to the site via agency vans,” the FBI says. “The use of other drop zones would require substantial and additional costs including airfare, shipping, lodging, meals, rental vehicles, and related.” The FBI blacked out the value of the contract.

The 31-year old HRT, created to help protect the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, is “federal law enforcement’s only full-time counterterrorism unit,” according to the FBI. The government decided it needed such a unit following the kidnapping and killing of 11 Israeli athletes by Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Olympics in 1972. It’s ready to deploy anywhere in the nation on four hours’ notice.

“The operational tempo for HRT has been high in the years since the terrorist attacks of 9/11/01,” says the FBI, which says it has deployed elements of the team 800 times since 1983, both at home and overseas. “For the first time, the FBI is seeking candidates with special tactical qualifications, to become Special Agents, and to serve as HRT Operators.”

The HRT consists of individual “tactical units,” made up of team members specializing as assaulters or sniper/observers, and backed up by transportation, logistics, intelligence, communications, and command personnel.

Since its founding, only about 300 FBI agents have made it through the eight months of training required before joining the HRT. “They are trained to be superior marksmen, proficient in a variety of breaching techniques—including explosives—and experts in close-quarter tactics,” the bureau says. “Each operator’s skill and training ensures that the HRT can launch assaults with speed, precision, and, if necessary, deadly force.”

 

 

TIME Crime

Stiletto Killing Case Ends With Murder Conviction

Prosecutor John Jordan sets down a stiletto shoe entered into evidence during the trial against Ana Lilia Trujillo Tuesday, April 1, 2014, in Houston.
Prosecutor John Jordan sets down a stiletto shoe entered into evidence during the trial against Ana Lilia Trujillo Tuesday, April 1, 2014, in Houston. Brett Coomer / Houston Chronicle / AP

Ana Trujillo of Texas faces life in prison after a Texas jury found her guilty of murdering her boyfriend by stabbing him in the face 25 times with a 5.5-inch stiletto heal during an argument after a night of drinking

A jury found a Houston woman charged with stabbing and killing her boyfriend with a 5 ½-inch stiletto heel guilty of murder on Tuesday.

Ana Trujillo, 45, faces up to life in prison for killing Alf Stefan Andersson at his home in June, the Associated Press reports. Andersson, 59, was a professor and researcher at the University of Houston at the time of his death.

Prosecutors said Trujillo hit her then-boyfriend 25 times in the face during an argument that occurred after a night of drinking. Trujillo’s attorney Jack Carroll argued that Trujillo was defending herself, but the prosecution pointed out she had a history of violence and had no injuries herself. James Wells, a former romantic partner of Trujillo’s, testified during the trial that the Mexican native had previously attacked and threatened him unprovoked.

[AP]

Your browser, Internet Explorer 8 or below, is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites.

Learn how to update your browser