TIME Television

Game of Thrones Casts Ian McShane in Season 6

The former Deadwood star will have a small but key role

Emmy-winning British actor Ian McShane is joining the cast of Game of Thrones in season 6.

The former Deadwood star’s role is still mysterious. It will be a small role, but it will still be important, Entertainment Weekly reports.

New episodes of Game of Thrones are set to air in the spring. HBO recently said the show would last at least eight seasons, though the showrunners have said they only want to make seven.

Read more at Entertainment Weekly

Read Next: HBO Exec Says Jon Snow Is Dead, Dead, Dead

TIME Television

HBO Exec Says Jon Snow Is Dead, Dead, Dead

So what was he doing in Belfast?

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo has weighed in on the rumors about Game of Thrones, and there’s good news and bad news for fans.

The bad news, depending on your character loyalty, is that Jon Snow really is dead. “Dead is dead is dead is dead. He be dead,” Lombardo said at the Television Critics Association press tour on Thursday, the L.A. Times reports. (Then again, he would say that either way, wouldn’t he?)

And as for those proponents of R+L=J, their theory could be put to the test on screen: Lombardo hinted, “There’s enormous storytelling to be mined in a prequel.”

[L.A. Times]

Read next: Watch Katniss and Jon Snow Face Off in ‘The Hunger Game of Thrones’

Download TIME’s mobile app for iOS to have your world explained wherever you go

TIME Television

Actor Who Played Joffrey Thinks the Misogyny on Game of Thrones May Be ‘Unjust’

Jack Gleeson would also advocate for more male nudity on the show

Jack Gleeson, who played the cruel, woman-torturing Joffrey Baratheon on Game of Thrones, weighed in on the misogyny debate that has plagued the HBO show this season.

Since his character was one of the main perpetrators of the violence and sexual abuse of women on the show, Gleeson had a unique perspective on whether it should depict those actions as often as it does. In an interview with the Daily Beast, Gleeson said that he has not watched the series since he left because he cannot suspend his disbelief after being on set, so he cannot comment on the infamous Sansa rape scene. But Gleeson admitted that past representations of sexual violence may been “unfair.”

MORE: Maisie Williams on How Game of Thrones Treats Women and Her Dream Superhero Role

When asked if he found it difficult to film some of the scenes where he abused women, Gleeson replied:

Yeah, of course; it’s a tricky thing when you are representing misogyny in that way because I wouldn’t say the show ever implicitly condones misogyny or any kind of violence towards women. But, perhaps, it’s still unfair or unjust to represent it even if the gloss on the representation is a negative one.

Obviously as a 23-year-old man, I can never put myself into the mindset of a woman who has been sexually assaulted, but I think that sometimes you have to represent awful things happening onscreen even if they’re for entertainment because you have to expose the brutality of them, because the chances are you’re not going to see that anywhere. So there’s a chance it engages some kind of empathy but it is a gray area. It might be very traumatic and stressful to watch those scenes.

The show has also come under fire—like many HBO shows before it—for excessive female nudity. Despite not being a regular viewer, Gleeson said he supports the instances of male nudity he’s heard about from friends and colleagues.

As I say, I don’t watch it so I can’t really comment, but I have heard that there is male nudity — so I think that is one good thing, to not just objectify women but also objectify the beauty of the male genitalia! We’re all objects together.

The 23-year-old Gleeson said last year that he plans to retire from acting.

MORE: Sophie Turner on Defending Sansa Stark and Her Surprising Dream Role

[Daily Beast]

TIME Television

Why Game of Thrones Actor Pedro Pascal Doesn’t Need Dragons

“We don’t need dragons. We got cocaine!”

Westeros palace intrigue and Colombian drug cartels: kinda similar? Definitely, according to former Game of Thrones actor Pedro Pascal, who chatted with reporters Tuesday about his new 10-hour Netflix series Narcos, which chronicles the rise and fall of notorious drug kingpin Pablo Escobar in the 1980s.

Pascal memorably played Prince Oberyn Martell in the HBO fantasy drama’s fourth season, and in Narcos he co-stars as Javier Pena, a Mexican DEA agent.

“They’re very comparable to one another,” said Pascal. “There’s the size of the story. Game of Thrones would take a lot of inspiration from the story of what went down in Colombia and the war that was fought. The thing that seems most important was capturing the physical environment we were in. When I got to Croatia for Thrones and we were shooting over the Adriatic Sea and thinking that as a fan I thought it was CGI. My physical experience similar [on Narcos] where I’m in these physical locations and what you see is what you get.”

Not to mention, Pascal added, “We don’t need dragons. We got cocaine!”

Other notes from the panel: Narcos stars Wagner Moura as Esocbar, and drew on the classic mob drama Goodfellas for inspiration. Executive producer Jose Padilha declared the U.S. drug war a failure and also said drug users should have a better appreciation of the real human cost of the drugs they take. “If you’re at a party and snort a gram of cocaine, look at how many people died (for it), how many lives were destroyed … The drug policy that we have in the U.S. hasn’t worked in the last 30 years.”

Head here for more coverage from TCA.

This article originally appeared on EW.com

TIME Television

HBO Is Toying With Us Over Jon Snow’s Fate

Spoiler alert, as always

HBO just added fuel to the fire in the debate over Jon Snow’s fate on Game of Thrones.

As Pedestrian reports, HBO recently sent out a press release promoting a sale of their latest collection of toys. While that is not particularly newsworthy the collection is called the “Honor The Fallen: The Memoriam Collection” and features several beloved characters all killed before their time by the cruel hand of author George R. R. Martin and the writers of the HBO series, including Robb Stark, Khal Drogo, The Hound, Ned Stark, Oberyn Martell and the less beloved Joffrey Lannister.

However there is one character noticeably absent from the toys of the dead (a concept that is suitably dark for the HBO series) — Jon Snow. The character, played by Kit Harington, died at the hands of his Watcher brethren and has had the internet buzzing with conspiracy theories since the scene aired in June. Yet he is not featured in the Memoriam Collection. Could that mean that he’s not actually dead? Or is HBO just prolonging its torture of fans like it’s been reading from the Ramsay Snow playbook?

This is hardly the first instance of speculation that Jon Snow could be returning to the show. Rumors circulated when Harington showed up at the Wimbledon tennis championship sporting Snow’s trademark shoulder-length hair and again when he was spotted in Belfast where Game of Thrones is filming.

Plus, in the words of A Song of Ice and Fire creator Martin: “If there’s one thing we know in A Song of Ice and Fire is that death is not necessarily permanent.”

 

TIME viral

Watch Katniss and Jon Snow Face Off in ‘The Hunger Game of Thrones’

It's Jon Snow versus Katniss Everdeen

Katniss Everdeen may have faced down President Snow in The Hunger Games trilogy, but she’s never faced down Jon Snow — until now.

A new mashup has Jennifer Lawrence’s fearless bowed heroine facing off against Kit Harington’s sword wielding Game of Thrones character and it’s clear that Winter is Coming to Panem.

In the video, Katniss issues a call to arms against Jon Snow urging her followers to fight against Snow’s forces. Meanwhile, Snow is holed up in the North ready to face down the rising darkness from Beyond the Wall or the wildlings of District 12.

In the clip from YouTube creator David Elmaleh, Katniss intones, “Nothing good is safe while Snow is alive,” but the question is: if Katniss does manage to kill him, will Snow stay dead?

TIME Theater

Jack Gleeson, King Joffrey on Game of Thrones, Snubs Hollywood for London Stage

"Game Of Thrones" Season 4 New York Premiere
Taylor Hill—FilmMagic/Getty Images Actor Jack Gleeson attends the 'Game Of Thrones' Season 4 premiere at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center on March 18, 2014 in New York City

The 23-year-old Cork native says he's turned down top roles to trend the boards

Jack Gleeson has kept busy in the year since his hated character on Game of Thrones was dramatically killed off.

The Irish star, who played King Joffrey in the HBO drama, has taken a break from the silver screen to found his own theater company and is preparing to debut the off-beat comedy Bears in Space at London’s Soho Theatre.

Gleeson started the Collapsing Horse Theatre Company with friends he met while at university, quashing rumors that the star would retire after his grisly Game of Thrones exit.

“Offers [for blockbuster roles] came in, but I just had a lack of desire to do a big action movie. What I enjoy most is this kind of thing, where I can have fun with my friends,” Gleeson told the London Evening Standard.

His latest production is about the thawing of two cryogenically frozen bears and their subsequent romp through space. The play has been well-received and was deemed a “must-see” by a review in Edinburgh Festivals Magazine.

Bears in Space plays at the Soho Theatre from Aug. 3 to 22.

TIME Television

If Jon Snow Is Dead, Explain This Photo

You know nothing, Kit Harington fans (spoilers ahead)

He says his character is definitely dead and he won’t be returning to the show. The show’s creators have said the same. His co-star Emilia Clarke said there’s a 50/50 chance he might come back, while his other co-star Maisie Williams thinks he won’t.

So what is Kit Harington, who plays Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, apparently doing in Belfast, Northern Ireland, where the hugely popular TV show’s next season is being filmed?

Everyone saw (and probably cried) over Snow getting stabbed multiple times in the season 5 finale, but Game of Thrones fan site Watchers on the Wall tweeted what is said to be an image of Harington at Belfast airport Monday night.

A member of the popular fan forum was apparently on the same flight as Harington, and also reported seeing Tom Wlaschiha, who plays everyone’s favorite faceless assassin Jaqen H’gar.

Multiple media outlets have picked up on the image. ‘The return of Jon Snow is turning into the worst-kept secret in TV history” said Vanity Fair, which added “Rest assured, these are taken in the Belfast airport” and invited readers to cross reference a photo for comparison.

But back to Jon Snow: Is he back?

Harington further fueled speculation of his return to the show by sporting Snow’s trademark shoulder-length hair at the Wimbledon tennis championship a few weeks ago, and has reportedly refused to take pictures with fans in Belfast.

Of course, Harington’s appearance in Belfast is not conclusive proof of anything, but in the words of George R.R. Martin — author of the A Song of Ice and Fire books on which the show is based:

“If there’s one thing we know in A Song of Ice and Fire is that death is not necessarily permanent.”

Read Next: Here Are All the Jon Snow Conspiracy Theories

TIME movies

Game of Thrones Writer to Pen Live-Action The Sword in the Stone Remake

THE SWORD IN THE STONE
©Walt Disney Pictures THE SWORD IN THE STONE, King Arthur (aka Wart), 1963,

The animated movie first came out in 1963

What does Game of Thrones have in common with The Sword in the Stone? (Besides swords, that is.)

The answer is Brian Cogman, a writer-producer for the HBO hit who is set to write a live-action remake of Disney’s 1963 animated movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter. In addition to his work on Thrones, Cogman is currently working his Medieval magic on an adaptation of the card game Magic: The Gathering.

The Sword in the Stone, based on the 1938 T.H. White novel of the same name, tells the story of a young King Arthur. The adaptation will be produced by Brigham Taylor, who’s also producing Disney’s live-action The Jungle Book adaptation.

[THR]

 

TIME Television

Emilia Clarke says Game of Thrones Season 6 Will Be ‘Epic’

The actress reveals what to expect in Season 6

With 24 Emmy nominations for Game of Thrones, including Emilia Clarke’s for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama, you’d think Daenerys Targaryen would be taking it easy for the weekend. But no — the Mother of Dragons is at it again, igniting more rumors about what’s in store for the show’s highly anticipated season 6:

“It’s just go, go, go, go,” she tells the LA Times. “Shocking moment to shocking moment. Epic moment to epic moment. It’s mental; it’s epic. And definitely Dany’s a part of it.”

Clarke acknowledges this departure from past seasons — though some have taken a slower start to introduce characters and plotlines, she says this won’t be the case this time around.

This isn’t the first time she’s commented on what to expect in Season 6. After the shocking Season 5 finale, she said that though the episode implied otherwise, she believes that Jon Snow has a 50/50 chance of coming back to life.

Though nothing is certain yet, we do know one thing for sure — Season 6 is coming, but not nearly fast enough.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com