TIME Music

Lykke Li’s ‘Gunshot’ Might Be Her Most Depressing Music Video Ever

And you thought your last breakup was tough

+ READ ARTICLE

Lykke Li took her last breakup really, really badly. On the song “Gunshot,” she compares a failed relationship to a bullet going through her head; for the track’s brand-new music video, the Swedish singer dons some ghostly makeup and performs a parking lot mourning parade that ends with her — surprise! — face-down in the concrete, convulsing from imaginary gunshot wounds.

Li’s third album in her trilogy about the emotional ups and downs of twentysomething womanhood, I Never Learn, was an underwhelming follow-up to her first two albums, but this Greg Kurstin-produced highlight gets some support here from a random pack of twerking dancers. After all, if a music video in 2014 doesn’t feature twerking, did it really happen?

TIME Music

Watch Perfume Genius Explore ‘Underlying Rage’ in New Video “Queen”

The Seattle act tries out new sounds after two critically acclaimed albums

+ READ ARTICLE

Updated July 17, 11:18 a.m. EST

Mike Hadreas, the acclaimed Seattle musician who’s put out two albums of moody soundscapes under the name Perfume Genius, knows how to make a statement. Introducing a new song about gay panic, “Queen,” from his just-announced third album, Too Bright (out Sept. 23), he had this to say:

“Sometimes I see faces of blank fear when I walk by … if these f-cking people want to give me some power — if they see me as some sea witch with penis tentacles that are always prodding and poking and seeking to convert the muggles — well here she comes.”

Well, not exactly — the song isn’t quite as over-the-top as his explanation, and there are unfortunately no screeching sea witches visibly causing a ruckus in the music video (though surely someone on the Internet is hard at work creating relevant Tumblr fan art).

But the track’s lyrics do hint at the themes of the new record, which Hadreas says is about “an underlying rage that has slowly been growing since age ten and has just begun to bubble up.” The shining keyboard parts and droning guitars may be a departure from the piano-heavy sounds of 2012’s Put Your Back N 2 It, but they feel as intimate and arresting as anything else he’s done.

TIME Music

Anne Hathaway Rocks a Mustache and Keytar in New Jenny Lewis Video: Watch

Brie Larson and Kristen Stewart also join the fun

+ READ ARTICLE

Jenny Lewis doesn’t need to be one of the guys — especially not when she can call up Anne Hathaway, Kristen Stewart and Brie Larson and organize an A-list all-lady jam sesh. The Rilo Kiley frontwoman may bemoan her biological clock and gender roles in the Beck-produced song “Just One of the Guys,” off her upcoming album The Voyager, but in this brand-new clip, it seems she’s having a much better time poking fun at (literal) gender performance with her actress pals than trying to observe any code about lady-like behavior.

A lighter follow-up to the haunting title track she premiered last week, this video manages to be a victory for gender studies majors, fans of good music and blazer aficionados — all at once.

TIME Crime

First Woman Charged Under Tennessee’s Controversial Drugs-During-Pregnancy Law

The new law has garnered criticism from the state's American Civil Liberties Union and others

A woman in Tennessee last week became the first person to be charged under a controversial state law that can count illegal drug use during pregnancy as assault.

26-year-old Mallory Loyola was arrested July 8 and charged with misdemeanor assault after she and her newborn baby tested positive for meth, ABC News reports. Monroe County Sheriff Bill Bivens told a local news station in Knoxville, Tenn., that Loyola admitted to smoking meth days before the birth of her child.

Earlier this month, a law went into effect that allows mothers to be “prosecuted for assault for the illegal use of a narcotic drug while pregnant” if the child is harmed by, or becomes addicted to, the drug.

Critics of the law say it discourages women battling addiction from seeking treatment or pre-natal care. The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee in particular has called the law “dangerous” and it said it raises “serious constitutional concerns regarding equal treatment under the law.” The law does allow anyone charged, as a defense, to enter a treatment program while pregnant and complete it following the birth.

“Anytime someone is addicted and they can’t get off for their own child, their own flesh and blood, it’s sad,” Bivens said. “Hopefully [Loyola's arrest] will send a signal to other women who are pregnant and have a drug problem to seek help. That’s what we want them to do.”

Loyola was released on a $2,000 bail, ABC News reports.

[ABC News]

TIME Television

Saturday Night Live Cast Member Brooks Wheelan Says He Was Fired

Saturday Night Live - Season 39
Brooks Wheelan and Kenan Thompson during the "Touch O' Heat" skit on May 3, 2014. Dana Edelson—NBC/Getty Images

"Had a blast and loved every second of it," he announced on Twitter

Brooks Wheelan announced that he is will not be returning to Saturday Night Live after one season.

“[I] Had a blast and loved every second of it,” the 27-year-old comedian tweeted Monday. Wheelan, who did impressions of Kid Rock and One Direction’s Harry Styles on the show, added, “I’m totally honored to be able to make this next joke… FIRED FROM NEW YORK IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!”

A rep for the show said Saturday Night Live does not comment on casting changes, and Wheelan’s management also declined to comment to TIME. The Hollywood Reporter says it confirmed the news with “a source close to Saturday Night Live.”

Future plans for this season’s SNL freshmen Beck Bennett, John Milhiser, Mike O’Brien, Noel Wells and Sasheer Zamata have not been announced.

TIME movies

Chris Pratt Was Turned Down for Roles in Star Trek and Avatar

2014 MTV Movie Awards - Arrivals
LOS ANGELES, CA - APRIL 13: Actor Chris Pratt attends the 2014 MTV Movie Awards at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on April 13, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Steve Granitz/WireImage) Steve Granitz—WireImage

He's come a long way from that time he was on The O.C.

After several failures to launch, Chris Pratt is finally going to outer space — at least, in the movies.

The Parks and Recreation actor is starring in the upcoming superhero flick Guardians of the Galaxy, but he had to face plenty of intergalactic rejection before he could bring the Marvel comic book character of Star-Lord to life on screen.

In the current issue of Entertainment Weekly, Pratt explains how he auditioned for the roles of Jake Sully in Avatar and Captain Kirk in the reboot of Star Trek. Pratt remembers the Avatar audition as particularly rough:

“They said they want somebody that has ‘that thing,’ that ‘It factor’ … I walked into that room knowing that I did not have that thing, and I walked out thinking I would never have that thing, probably … I figured, I’ll find a way to make money and if that means I’m playing character roles, that’s terrific. People have to work. I just don’t want it to be at a f—ing restaurant.”

At least Pratt now stars alongside Zoe Saldana, who did land roles in Star Trek and Avatar and who dresses up like another colorful alien in Guardians (this time in green), so it’s not like he really missed out on anything.

TIME Theater

Tupac Broadway Musical to Close Following Dismal Box-Office Performance

Holler If Ya Hear Me Palace Theatre
Tonya Pinkins, left, and Christopher Jackson during a performance of "Holler If Ya Hear Me," at the Palace Theatre in New York. Joan Marcus—Boneau/Bryan-Brown/AP

Holler if Ya Hear Me will close July 20

Holler if Ya Hear Me, the Broadway musical inspired by the music and lyrics of the late rapper Tupac Shakur, will close July 20 following weeks of poor ticket sales and mixed reviews.

“It saddens me that due to the financial burdens of Broadway, I was unable to sustain this production longer in order to give it time to bloom on Broadway,” producer Eric L. Gold said in a statement. “Tupac’s urgent socially important insights and the audiences’ nightly rousing standing ovations deserve to be experienced by the world.”

Directed by Tony Award winner Kenny Leon, the show is one of the worst-selling musicals in recent years, the New York Times reports. The production grossed $154,948 last week — only 17% of what it could have earned.

The musical, which started previews on June 2 and officially opened June 19, played 38 performances and 17 preview shows.

Gold said he made a “rookie mistake by underestimating how much capital was necessary” to keep it afloat in a recent interview with Variety, where he also warned in the past that if the musical failed, it could become difficult for hip-hop and rap to find a home on Broadway.

TIME Israel

Israeli Security Cabinet to Vote on Cease-Fire Proposed by Egypt

Israel's Prime Minister Netanyahu attends cabinet meeting in Jerusalem
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Baz Ratner—Reuters

The cease-fire would start Tuesday morning

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will convene a meeting with his security cabinet on Tuesday to vote on a cease-fire proposal from Egypt that he favors, a senior Israeli official told Haaretz.

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry proposed a three-step plan to de-escalate violence between Israel and Hamas forces in the Gaza Strip, starting with a 12-hour cease-fire that would begin Tuesday morning and then continuing with the opening of border passages as well as formal talks in Cairo, the Associated Press reports.

Ismail Haniyeh, deputy political chief of Hamas, said Hamas has been contacted about a potential cease-fire but had not yet been provided with specific details, Haaretz reports. The newspaper is also reporting that at least one member of Netanyahu’s cabinet, Economy Minister Naftali Bennett, will vote against the cease-fire.

Last week Netanyahu said a cease-fire was “not even on the agenda” while a Hamas spokesman said that the group would only stop its rocket attacks once Israel stopped its air strikes. On Saturday, the U.N. Security Council called for a return to the terms of an Egyptian-negotiated cease-fire from November of 2012 that put a stop to similar violence in the region.

The Obama Administration said last week that it was willing to negotiate a cease-fire between Israel and Gaza.

“The President expressed concern about the risk of further escalation and emphasized the need for all sides to do everything they can to protect the lives of civilians and restore calm,” the White House said in a statement, NPR reports. “The United States remains prepared to facilitate a cessation of hostilities, including a return to the November 2012 ceasefire agreement.”

Conflict between Israeli and Palestinian forces erupted following the abduction and murder of three Israeli teenagers and one Palestinian teen in June and July. More than 175 people have been killed, the AP reports.

[Haaretz]

TIME weather

This Freak Hailstorm on a Russian Beach Is Terrifying to Watch

So much for sunbathing

+ READ ARTICLE

It’s all fun and games at the beach until large balls of ice fall from the sky.

That’s exactly what happens in this video, which shows cheerful, smiling Russians suddenly freak out and run for cover as debris starts flying and alarmingly forceful hail begins to pelt them (that shot of ice hitting the water looks down right apocalyptic).

The original uploader says the hail brought with it a sudden 35-degree temperature drop (Fahrenheit), which would probably have been greatly appreciated in the supposedly 100+ degree temperatures had it not been for, you know, painful meteorological phenomena.

TIME celebrities

Conor Oberst’s Rape Accuser Admits Making Story Up ‘To Get Attention’

2014 Hangout Music Festival - Day 1
Conor Oberst performs during the 2014 Hangout Music Festival at Hangout Beach on May 16, 2014 in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Tim Mosenfelde—Getty Images

"I’m truly sorry for all the pain that I caused,” writes Bright Eyes singer's accuser

A woman has admitted to fabricating claims that musician Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes raped her as a teenager, according to a notarized statement that was dated and surfaced on Monday.

Joan Elizabeth Harris, who originally identified herself as Joanie Faircloth, first made the accusation in the comments section of a 2013 xoJane article. But she now says she “made up those lies about him to get attention” while dealing with a sick child, in a document first published by BuzzFeed.

Harris apologized for spreading the story “online and elsewhere over the past six months” and for “undermin[ing] the claims of actual sexual assault victims.”

Oberst has denied the accusations and filed a defamation suit earlier this year in response. A recent TMZ story claimed the rape accusation led Oberst’s label to drop him, but the label told the NME that the report was inaccurate.

The full statement reads:

“The statements I made and repeated online and elsewhere over the past six months accusing Conor Oberst of raping me are 100% false. I made up those lies about him to get attention while I was going through a difficult period in my life and trying to cope with my son’s illness. I publicly retract my statements about Conor Oberst, and sincerely apologize to him, his family, and his fans for writing such awful things about him. I realize that my actions were wrong and could undermine the claims of actual sexual assault victims and for that I also apologize. I’m truly sorry for all the pain that I caused.”

[BuzzFeed]

Your browser, Internet Explorer 8 or below, is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites.

Learn how to update your browser