TIME Utah

Deaths of Utah 13-Year-Old Boys Blamed on Dangerous Drug Known as ‘Pink’

The synthetic opioid is “extremely toxic," even in small doses

Officials on Thursday confirmed that two teenage boys in Utah died after overdosing on a dangerous drug known as “pink.”

Ryan Ainsworth and Grant Seaver, both 13, were best friends who were found dead separately two days apart from each other in September, according to local media outlets.

Toxicology tests have determined that the middle school students both died from acute drug intoxication of U-47700, a synthetic opioid that is “extremely toxic, even in small doses,” Park City Police Chief Wade Carpenter said in a statement.

U-47700 often appears as a white powder, although it can also come in liquid form. It has caused at least 17 overdoses and several deaths in the country, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) said.

The DEA in September said it planned to temporarily designate U-47700 as a Schedule I controlled substance, which means it has no medicinal use and has a high potential for abuse.

Tap to read full story

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com


YOU BROKE TIME.COM!

Dear TIME Reader,

As a regular visitor to TIME.com, we are sure you enjoy all the great journalism created by our editors and reporters. Great journalism has great value, and it costs money to make it. One of the main ways we cover our costs is through advertising.

The use of software that blocks ads limits our ability to provide you with the journalism you enjoy. Consider turning your Ad Blocker off so that we can continue to provide the world class journalism you have become accustomed to.

The TIME Team