1. Your smart thermostat could take down the Internet. We need new rules.
By Bruce Schneier in the Washington Post
2. Game theory explains how presidential elections are always so close.
By Oliver Roeder in Nautilus
3. Here’s how states are turning their empty prisons into community assets.
By Jen Fifield at Pew Charitable Trusts
4. Is the Internet loosening our grip on the truth?
By Farhad Manjoo in the New York Times
5. Want to understand Trump’s rise? Head to the farm.
By Siena Chrisman in Civil Eats
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.