By Melissa Chan
A man who was shot Wednesday in Charlotte during the second night of protests in the North Carolina city over a fatal police shooting of a black man has died, police said.
Justin Carr, 26, had been listed in critical condition and was on life support before he was pronounced dead Thursday at a hospital, the Charlotte Observer reports.
He had been shot in the head in a “civilian on civilian” shooting that did not involve police officers, the newspaper said, citing city officials. A homicide investigation has been launched, according to the Associated Press.
Protests erupted in Charlotte after 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was killed by police.
More Must-Reads from TIME
- Cybersecurity Experts Are Sounding the Alarm on DOGE
- Meet the 2025 Women of the Year
- The Harsh Truth About Disability Inclusion
- Why Do More Young Adults Have Cancer?
- Colman Domingo Leads With Radical Love
- How to Get Better at Doing Things Alone
- Michelle Zauner Stares Down the Darkness
Contact us at letters@time.com