Armed guards patrol Marhaba beach during a visit by British Home Secretary Theresa May at the scene where 39 people were killed on June 29, in Sousse, Tunisia.
Jeff J Mitchell—Getty Images
By Joanna Plucinska
June 30, 2015

An unspecified number of individuals suspected of having links to last Friday’s Tunisian beach massacre have been arrested by Tunisian authorities, Reuters reports.

“We will find all those involved, whether it was just logistical support or not,” Najem Gharsalli, the Interior Minister, told reporters.

Thirty-nine holidaymakers — mostly Britons — were killed when Tunisian gunman Saif Rezgui started firing on the beach by the Imperial Marhaba hotel in Sousse on June 26. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the killings.

Gharsalli didn’t provide details about those arrested, but said that authorities are investigating whether the gunman, who was killed during the attack, had been trained in jihadist camps. “There is a large possibility that he was in Libya for about a month this year for training,” an unnamed security source told Reuters.

Tunisia has been grappling with a rise in Islamist militancy since its recent democratic transition. Over 3,000 Tunisians have joined Islamist militant groups in Syria, Iraq and most recently Libya, Reuters says.

[Reuters]

SPONSORED FINANCIAL CONTENT

You May Like

EDIT POST