1. True rehabilitation: We can reform prisons and reduce recidivism if we treat prison labor less like modern-day slavery and more like on-the-job training.
By Beth Schwartzapfel in American Prospect
2. Drones are a powerful military and civilian tool. Reforms are desperately needed if the U.S. wants to stay at the top of the drone food chain.
By Missy Cummings in Wired
3. Liberia’s fragile democracy may fall victim to the Ebola virus outbreak.
By Ashoka Mukpo in Al-Jazeera America
4. Mayors need the partnership and protection of a UN for big cities to test new solutions and spread innovation.
By Richard Florida in Citylab
5. The biggest barrier to nonprofit innovation isn’t the lack of money. It’s knowing the right way to scale up and spend big infusions of cash.
By Mathu Jeyaloganathan Ivey Business Review
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.