- Intro offer:120,000 points
- Annual fee:$695
- Regular APR:18.49% – 26.49% Variable
- Recommended credit score:670-850 (Good to Excellent)
Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. Earn 1.5X points on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year. 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases.
- Generous welcome bonus
- 5x rewards bonus on flights and prepaid hotels through amextravel.com
- Many premium perks and benefits
- $695 annual fee
- Rewards and benefits primarily travel-based
- High APR
Additional Card Details
- Up to $400 annual credit for U.S. Dell Technologies purchases
- Up to $360 in annual statement credits for purchases with Indeed
- Up to $150 in statement credits per year for purchases with Adobe on eligible annual prepaid plans
- Up to $120 in annual statement credits for wireless phone services
- Up to $189 in annual statement credits toward CLEAR® membership
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Up to $200 annual airline fee on one selected airline
- 35% airline bonus when you pay for all or part of eligible fare using Membership Rewards points (up to 1 million points back per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com)
- Access to American Express Global Lounge Collection
- Access to Fine Hotels + Resorts Program
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status and Hilton Honors Gold status
- Business Platinum Card Concierge access
- Travel protections
The Business Platinum Card from American Express Full Review
The Business Platinum Card from American Express is a travel rewards card geared towards business owners who travel often and value comfort. Its value lies not only in the points you’ll earn on travel, but in the benefits that can help make your travel more efficient and enjoyable.
The Business Platinum Card carries a $695 annual fee.
The Business Platinum Card is currently offering a welcome bonus of 120,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within three months of card membership. That’s a high spending threshold to meet — about $5,000 spent per month — but you can get over $1,000 in redemption value depending on how you use your bonus points.
The Business Platinum Card offers 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels through AmexTravel.com and 1.5x points on any eligible purchases of $5,000 or more as well as on eligible spending in the following business categories (up to $2 million of these purchases per year):
- Construction material and hardware suppliers
- Electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers
- Shipping providers
You’ll get 1 point per dollar on all other spending. When you redeem your points for travel, you can get a 35% airline bonus if you pay for all or part of eligible fare using Membership Rewards points (up to 1 million points back per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com).
The Business Platinum Card does not charge any foreign transaction fees. The card has a 18.49% – 26.49% variable APR on Pay Over Time balances. If you don’t pay your bill on time, you’ll be charged a late fee up to $39 or 2.99% of any past due Pay in Full amount, whichever is greater, and may incur a penalty APR up to 29.99% (See Rates & Fees).
How to Use the Business Platinum Card
Start maximizing your Business Platinum Card by scoring the 120,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus after approval. You’ll need to spend a steep $15,000 within three months of account opening, so it can help to plan your application around a quarter in which you anticipate normal expenses that can help you get the bonus.
Then, you can continue to get the most long-term value by making this your go-to card for any business travel expenses. Not only will you earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked through AmexTravel.com, but you’ll also get access to this card’s numerous added benefits — from airport lounge access to the 35% airline bonus when booking, and elite status with both Marriott and Hilton.
All the annual credits you’ll get with this card can also help negate the annual fee cost — from business-related spending like eligible U.S. purchases with Dell, Indeed, Adobe, and more, to travel purchases with airlines, CLEAR membership, and hotel loyalty program status.
Just make sure the Business Platinum Card’s benefits and rewards are in line with purchases you would have made anyway. Practicing good credit habits, like spending only what you can afford to pay off each month and making payments in full and on time, is even more important with a card at this price.
This card offers a premium rewards value, but it’s not for everyone. Evaluate your past business spending and anticipated upcoming expenses to determine whether the Business Platinum Card’s travel-focused benefits align with your regular spending before you apply.
Business Platinum Card Compared to Other Credit Cards
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
American Express® Business Gold Card
- Intro offer:70,000 points
- Annual fee:$295
- Regular APR:18.49% – 26.49% Variable
- Recommended credit:670-850 (Good to Excellent)
- Learn more At our partner’s secure site
Is the Business Platinum Card Right for You?
Thanks to its sky-high annual fee and travel-based benefits, this card makes most sense for people whose business requires them to spend a significant amount of time in the air, and who value comfort and convenience while traveling.
If your business requires non-local client meetings or visits to other corporate offices, this could be a great option for saving on flights, hotels, and all the incidental expenses associated with frequent travel.
But if you don’t dedicate a large portion of your monthly budget to travel, the Business Platinum’s premium perks don’t entice you, or you simply can’t justify the high price, there are plenty of other high-value business card options.
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business* or Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card, for example, both offer travel rewards and great welcome bonus offers, but charge just $95 annually. And a card like the American Express® Business Gold Card can help you earn rewards on more frequent everyday business expenses (like shipping or advertising) to later redeem for travel.
*All information about the Capital One Spark Miles for Business Credit Card has been collected independently by NextAdvisor and has not been reviewed by the issuer.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card from American Express, click here.