MONEY Ask the Expert

Are Savings Bonds a Tax-Free Way to Pay for School?

photo: shutterstock The tax bill from cashing in savings bonds may not be that burdensome.

Q: I have Series EE savings bonds I got when I was young. Can they be cashed in tax-free for my master’s degree? — Michelle D., Norwell, Mass.

A: That’s unlikely, says Tom Adams, publisher of

Assuming the bonds are in your name, to qualify for a tax break, they must have been issued after 1989, and you must have been at least 24 years old at the time.

If someone else owns the bonds, such as your parents, the proceeds could be tax-free if you are a dependent on their tax return. Their eligibility, though, completely phases out with income above $142,050 ($89,700 for singles).

Still, tapping the bonds during grad school, and paying ordinary income tax on the interest, may not be burdensome. With an income below $72,500 ($36,250 if you’re single), you’d pay no more than 15% on the interest.

Tap to read full story

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at


Dear MONEY Reader,

As a regular visitor to, we are sure you enjoy all the great journalism created by our editors and reporters. Great journalism has great value, and it costs money to make it. One of the main ways we cover our costs is through advertising.

The use of software that blocks ads limits our ability to provide you with the journalism you enjoy. Consider turning your Ad Blocker off so that we can continue to provide the world class journalism you have become accustomed to.

The MONEY Team