TIME swimming

Michael Phelps Will Aim for 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio

Michael Phelps during a practice session in Mesa, Ariz. on April 15, 2015.
Matt York—AP Michael Phelps during a practice session in Mesa, Ariz. on April 15, 2015.

The swimmer's 6-month-long suspension for DUI arrest ended on April 6

Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps said Wednesday that he will try to compete at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, according to ESPN’s Wayne Drehs.

It is the first time Phelps has publicly committed to trying for the 2016 Games. One year ago, he announced he was coming out of retirement and would possibly target the Olympics in Rio.

Phelps is returning to competition this week for the first time since being suspended for six months from all sanctioned events. USA Swimming suspended him in October after he was arrested for DUI, and his suspension ended on April 6. He is competing in the Arena Pro Swim Series, which is being held April 15-18 at Skyline Aquatic Center in Mesa, Ariz.

As part of his suspension, USA Swimming and Phelps decided he would not participate in the 2015 World Championships in Kazan, Russia. It was reported that he could possibly be reinstated for the event, but on Wednesday Phelps said he respects the decision of USA Swimming and will not compete in Kazan.

Last November, fellow USA swimmer Ryan Lochte said he had “no doubt” Phelps will be ready for the 2016 Olympics. Phelps won eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympics, including a one-hundredth of a second victory in the 100-meter butterfly that SI captured with an underwater camera.

This article originally appeared on SI.com.

TIME Football

Former Football Star on What Aaron Hernandez Can Expect in Jail

Former New England Patriots NFL football player Aaron Hernandez listens during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass., on Wednesday, April 15, 2015. Hernandez is accused of killing Odin Lloyd in June 2013. (Dominick Reuter/Pool Photo via AP)
Dominick Reuter—AP Former New England Patriots NFL football player Aaron Hernandez listens during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass., April 15, 2015.

"It’s like an emptiness. This huge gaping feeling," Maurice Clarett says

Life for Aaron Hernandez’s family—his mother, fiancée and daughter—will never be the same after the football star was found guilty of murder on Wednesday, and the reality is “saddening,” Maurice Clarett, another onetime football star, tells TIME in an interview.

The former Ohio State running back-turned-author said he had been upset to hear that Hernandez, 25, was accused of shooting and killing an acquaintance after a personal conflict while he was a star tight end for the New England Patriots. For his part, Clarett knows what it’s like to go from football star to convict: he spent more than three years in prison on robbery and concealed weapons charges, which derailed his career.

“It’s like you’re going to develop and live an entire different reality,” Clarett tells TIME of how it feels to be convicted of a serious crime. “It’s like an emptiness. This huge gaping feeling.”

Prison time tears families apart, Clarett said, and he foresees a difficult future for Hernandez now that he’s preparing to spend the rest of his life in prison.

“One parent will be taken out. You’re repeating your own cycle,” he said.”Children, they’re victims as well.”

Clarett says that his daughter still asks him questions about the time he spent in prison and that it hinders his ability to be the father he wants to be. Hernandez has a daughter, too, and she’ll likely only be able to see her father during short prison visits as she grows up, Clarett said.

That doesn’t mean Hernandez isn’t guilty or shouldn’t have received a life sentence, Clarett added. But he believes that athletes entering the professional sports world should undergo more intensive education and training to prepare them to be role models.

“They never really teach these guys to think. When I grew and I experienced, it just came from self-education,” he said. “You need to educate.”

Read next: Ex-NFL Player Aaron Hernandez Convicted of Murder

Listen to the most important stories of the day.

TIME golf

When He Was 14, Jordan Spieth Said He Wanted to Win the Masters

In a 2008 profile of 14-year-old Jordan Spieth, the Texas native talks about winning the Masters. At the time he was a student at Jesuit High School in Dallas.

“My ultimate goal when I came here, (my instructor) asked me and I said, “’I want to win the Masters.’” Spieth said.

This year, in just his second Masters appearance, Spieth is in position to do just that. He’s the 36-hole leader after finishing with a Masters record 14 under after the first two days. You can watch the video below.

This article originally appeared on Golf.com

TIME NBA

So Stephen Curry Just Made 77 Three-Pointers in a Row During Practice

Heat vs. Warriors
El Nuevo Herald—MCT/Getty Images Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry shoots over Miami Heat guard Mario Chalmers during the first quarter at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami on Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014.

Nothing but net. Again and again. And you can say "again" 75 more times

It’s no secret that Stephen Curry is one of the most devastatingly accurate and effective shooters in the NBA, but the Golden State Warriors superstar showed what goes into his seemingly effortless long-range jumper during a Tuesday practice session.

A video on ESPN shows the end of a sequence where the MVP front-runner hit 77 consecutive shots from beyond the arc.

You read that right — 77 shots in a row. Note his cry of anguish when he finally misses.

He also made 94 out of the 100 total shots he took. Because he’s Stephen Curry.

[ESPN]

TIME

NBA Player Blames Police for Season-Ending Injury

The league is investigating the incident

Atlanta Hawks forward Thabo Sefolosha released a statement Tuesday blaming his season-ending fibula fracture on the New York Police Department.

Sefolosha sustained the injury after being arrested along with teammate Pero Antic outside New York nightclub 1 Oak last week. Sefolosha and Antic were charged with obstructing governmental administration for refusing to clear the crime scene surrounding the stabbing of Pacers forward Chris Copeland.

In his statement, Sefolosha thanked his family, friends and the Hawks for their support, saying he is disappointed that he will be unable to play in the playoffs. He then said that while he can’t discuss details of the case, the police were responsible for his injury:

“On advice of counsel, I hope you can appreciate that I cannot discuss the facts of the case. Those questions will be answered by my attorney in a court of law. I will simply say that I am in great pain, have experienced a significant injury and that the injury was caused by the police.”

Sefolosha was also charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Sefolosha was in a walking boot and on crutches when he addressed the media on Tuesday, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Chris Vivlamore.

In a video published earlier this week by TMZ, multiple officers appear to wrestle the man TMZ says is Sefolosha to the ground. An officer then brandishes a nightstick and appears to swipe toward the man on the ground.

The NBA and NBPA are investigating the incident.

This article originally appeared on SI.com

TIME Surfing

Teen Surfing Star Killed by Shark Left His Mom a Note

A graffiti reading "Shark's area" has been written on an information board, on April 14, 2015 off Saint-Leu, on the western coast of the French Indian Ocean island of La Reunion, two days after a 13-year-old Elio Canestri was attacked and killed by a shark.
Richard Bouhet—AFP/Getty Images A graffiti reading "Shark's area" has been written on an information board, on April 14, 2015 off Saint-Leu, on the western coast of the French Indian Ocean island of La Reunion, two days after a 13-year-old Elio Canestri was attacked and killed by a shark.

"Don't worry, Mom"

The 13-year-old surfing champion who died in a shark attack reportedly left a note for his mother saying that he would not go in the water unless there were spotters watching the ocean for the predators.

“Don’t worry, Mom,” Elio Canestri wrote. “I’m going surfing. If there’s no security, I won’t surf.”

After revealing the note, Canestri’s grieving father Giovanni told French broadcaster RTL that his son had “always been very careful” in the waters off the coast of the Indian Ocean island of Reunion where they live. Elio was with six other people on Sunday when he was fatally…

Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News

Listen to the most important stories of the day.

TIME Surfing

Teen Surfing Star Killed by Shark Off Reunion

A 13-year-old surfing champion died in a shark attack off the coast of the Indian ocean island of Reunion, officials said Monday.

Elio Canestri was surfing with seven others off the west coast of the island on Sunday morning when a shark attacked, a spokesman for the island’s rescue services agency told NBC News. The shark sunk its teeth into the teen’s stomach and flung him around the water as he prepared to mount a wave, the spokesman added.

“A boat was launched very quickly, and the victim was dragged out of the sea, but he died from his wounds,” the spokesman said …

Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News

TIME Crime

Ex-NFL Player Suspected in Murder of Prison Cellmate

St. Louis Rams v Carolina Panthers
Joe Robbins—Getty Images Lawrence Phillips in 1996 in Charlotte, NC.

He is serving a 31-year, four-month sentence after being charged in 2005 with assaulting his then-girlfriend

Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips is suspected of murdering his cellmate at a California prison, prison officials said Monday.

Phillips’s cellmate, Damion Soward, was found unresponsive in their cell at Kern Valley State Prison shortly after midnight Saturday morning. He was taken to a local hospital and died Sunday evening at 5:30 p.m. Soward was serving 82 years to life for first-degree murder.

Phillips is serving a 31-year, four-month sentence for “inflicting great bodily injury involving domestic violence, corporal injury to spouse, false imprisonment and vehicle theft.” He was charged in 2005 with assaulting his then-girlfriend, choking her until she was unconscious. While being investigated in that case, he struck three teenagers with a car after a dispute at a youth football game. He began serving his sentence in 2008.

Phillips was a standout at the University of Nebraska, where he averaged 143.5 yards per game as a sophomore in 1994. During his junior season, he was charged with assaulting his then-girlfriend, a Nebraska basketball player, dragging her down three flights of stairs.

Phillips was the sixth pick of the 1996 NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams. He was released by the Rams midway through the 1997 season and signed with the Miami Dolphins. Miami released Phillips after he was charged with assaulting a woman at a Florida nightclub. He played for seven different teams in five leagues and three countries.

This article originally appeared on SI.com

TIME Baseball

Watch Tom Brady Throw a Terrible First Pitch at the Red Sox Home Opener

His latest off-season headline might be his worst

Tom Brady’s latest off-season headline might be his worst: his opening pitch before the Red Sox’s home opener against the Nationals at Fenway Park on Monday was quite, quite bad.

One more time, from the stands:

Calling it a “one-hopper” even seems generous. The quarterback’s pitch hit the dirt about halfway through the left-handed hitters’ batting box and didn’t even get close to reaching the painted line.

Great scoop by Big Papi, though. And at least Brady took it in stride. Perhaps he’ll return to balling with Michael Jordan or to the Bill Belichick heart attack-inducing cliff diving. Or maybe a return to having his kids bury him on the beachwould be safer—for all involved.

This article originally appeared on SI.com

TIME Environment

Meet The Man on a Mission to Preserve the World’s Coldest Places

Polar adventurer Eric Larsen spends his life in pursuit of the world’s coldest places. In 2006, he completed the first-ever summer expedition to the North Pole, and in 2010 he completed a world record expedition to the North Pole, the South Pole, and the top of Mt. Everest—all in one year. In 2014, he completed what he believes will be the last unsupported expedition to the geographic North Pole… ever.

Larsen documents each of his adventures, and sees his expeditions as a way to educate the rest of the world about the changing climates of the places he travels to. He hopes to spread the word and raise awareness about these coldest of places, before they are gone for good.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com