Preparing your tax return can get costly. Some popular tax software programs cost upwards of $50 to file a federal return, plus additional fees for filing state taxes. But your credit card may help you save $20 or more on tax prep this year.
If you have a relatively simple return, you can save money by using online tax software. And you might be able to save even more thanks to credit card and other discounts available this tax season.
To help you get the best deal on your tax software costs, we reached out to several credit card issuers and online savings aggregators to compile a list of currently available offers. Here’s what we found, and what you need to know before you enroll.
As these offers change, or more issuers respond, this page will be updated.
What to Know About Tax Prep Savings
There are a few stipulations to keep in mind if you want to save on tax prep using your credit card or an online savings deal. Because they’re often targeted offers, these deals can vary by issuer and even by account. They may be different depending on your specific card, spending habits, and other factors.
You might need to enroll in the deal through your account, and may even need to click through a portal to make your purchase. For example, you can enroll in an Amex Offer by logging into the mobile app and linking to your eligible card. But some offers from Citi require you click through your card account to an affiliate site where the offer lives.
Another factor to consider is the expiration dates of available deals. Even though Tax Day is on April 18 this year, some offers may only be available through March, meaning you’ll need to file your return early to qualify for the savings. And the IRS recommends filing your return early this year anyway, due to expected processing delays.
Here’s a rundown of all the tax prep software deals we know of so far, and a few more expert tips for saving on your tax return preparation this year.
Credit Card Issuers With Tax Software Deals
American Express cardholders can save on three popular tax software programs this season. First, you can get 5 Membership Rewards® points per eligible dollar spent when you file through TaxAct. You can earn up to 2,000 points, and the offer expires June 30, 2022. You may also be eligible for 30% back on purchases with TaxAct, up to $60 in purchases through April 18, 2022.
If you use TurboTax to file, you can get $10 off your purchase if you spend $50 or more, and $20 off if you spend $90 or more. These offers expire on April 18, 2022.
Lastly, you can save on H&R Block tax prep with $10 off your purchase of $30 or more. This offer expires on April 30, 2022.
Bank of America
Get $5 off a single TurboTax purchase of $35 or more with your Bank of America card. You also may qualify to get up to $10 in instant savings with select TurboTax software — $5 off TurboTax Deluxe and $10 off TurboTax Premier.
You can access both deals by enrolling using your Bank of America app, then navigate to Bank of America’s TurboTax affiliate website. You must use your eligible card to get the deal, and it expires on April 18, 2022.
Save between $5 and $10 on your TurboTax purchase with your Chase card through Chase Offers.
You can also get up to $15 extra instant savings at checkout on TurboTax federal products when you purchase from TurboTax’s affiliate website, which you can navigate to through your Chase account if eligible. The offer expires on April 18, 2022. Here’s a breakdown of how much each software version costs through the affiliate deal:
- Deluxe: $34
- Premier: $59
- Self-Employed: $74
Citi ThankYou cardmembers can save on TurboTax software through Oct. 15, 2022. Here’s a breakdown of the software costs. Access these through Citi’s affiliate site, which you can find through your qualifying account:
- Deluxe: $39
- Premier: $39
- Self-Employed: $39
This year, you can also use your ThankYou points to pay for your TurboTax tax prep, when you check out with PayPal using your points.
Discover doesn’t have any savings on tax prep software at time of publishing.
Get $7 back on your TaxAct purchase or get 3% bonus cash rewards on your H&R Block online purchase. Both offers are available via the Wells Fargo Earn More Mall, which you can access through your card account.
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Intro offer:Earn an Additional 1.5% Cash Back
- Annual fee:$0
- Regular APR:15.24% to 23.99% Variable
- Recommended credit:670-850 (Good to Excellent)
- Apply Now At Chase’s secure site
Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card
Online Savings Sites With Tax Prep Offers
RetailMeNot has several tax software coupons and deals available for H&R Block — including an online cash back offer and a discount on tax software products. Here are a few available H&R Block offers:
- 25% off online tax filing products. Offer expires April 18, 2022.
- Up to $15 cash back for online purchases sitewide. Offer expires Feb. 18, 2022.
- $25 off when filing with a tax professional at your local H&R Block office. Offer expires April 13, 2022.
Remember to verify that the code works before you start filing with the software to save time. There are also several RetailMeNot deals for TurboTax — including cash back offers, discounts on tax software, and deals on tax service upgrades. Here are a few deals available now:
- Up to an additional $20 on TurboTax. Offer expires Feb. 21, 2022.
- $15 cash back on TurboTax filing. Offer expires Feb. 28, 2022.
- Pay only $29 when you use TurboTax’s Deluxe software.
When you use H&R Block to file taxes through TopCashback.com, you can get up to 20% off online tax filing products. The offer is automatically applied at checkout, and the deal expires on April 15, 2022. Other H&R Block deals include $20 off the Deluxe, Premium and Self-Employed options. Expert help pricing is not included.
You can save on other tax software programs through your TopCashback account, too — including up to 15% off TurboTax and up to 10% off TaxAct.
Because TopCashback is an online portal, you’ll need to navigate to each software site through the TopCashBack website to get savings.
Other Tips for Finding Tax Prep Deals
Online portals and credit card offers are great ways to save when you prepare and file taxes online, but they’re not the only options for putting a few dollars back into your pocket. As you prepare to file, it can pay to keep your eyes peeled for offers from other retailers or accounts you frequent. Here are more tips to save on tax prep software this year:
- Check your email for promotions. Tax software companies you used in the past are likely eager to welcome you back this tax season. Some tax companies may send promo codes you can use to save when you file. Filing with the same software may also save you time; if you saved your tax or personal information from previous years in your account, you may not need to re-enter it this year.
- Pay attention to businesses you shop with regularly. Some partner with tax software companies to give you a discount as a member or customer. Major retailers, like Costco and Target may offer discounts when you buy tax prep software directly from them. These programs are different from online tax prep, but work largely the same way and allow you to e-file your federal return.
- Look out for deals on tax software websites. Sometimes, programs like TurboTax or H&R Block offer deals on upgraded services — such as tax expert assistance for the same price as other tax software services. “Those deals can be very valuable to those who don’t have super-simple returns but who don’t want to pay the full cost of these companies’ premium products,” says Kristin McGrath, Shopping Expert at RetailMeNot.
- See if you’re eligible for IRS Free File. With this option, you’ll be able to file your federal taxes for free. State tax preparation and filing may also be free. To qualify, your adjusted gross income must be less than $73,000.
- Look for deals closer to when you file. New deals may pop up throughout tax season, so if you look close to when you’re ready to file, you might find new offers that weren’t available before.