- Intro offer:70,000 points
- Annual fee:$295
- Regular APR:17.24% – 25.24% Variable
- Recommended credit score:670-850 (Good to Excellent)
Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month. 1X is earned for other purchases. **
- High rewards rate in your biggest spending categories
- Valuable welcome bonus
- No foreign transaction fees
- 25% airline bonus for eligible redemptions through Amex Travel (up to 250,000 points back per calendar year)
- 4x points rewards only apply to $150,000 in combined spending in bonus categories each year
- High APR if you carry a balance using Pay Over Time
- $295 annual fee
Additional Card Details
- 25% airline bonus on flights booked with points through AmexTravel.com, which applies to any flight on your selected qualifying airline. You can earn up to 250,000 points back per calendar year
- No preset spending limit, but you can use Pay Over Time to carry a balance with 16.49% – 24.49% variable APR
- Year-end summaries for business expense management
- Extended warranty and purchase protection
- Trip delay and baggage insurance
- Global Assist Hotline
- Up to $100 hotel credit when you book a stay with The Hotel Collection of at least two consecutive nights
- No foreign transaction fees
Eligibility and Benefit level varies by Card. Terms, Conditions and Limitations Apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details. Underwritten by Amex Assurance Company.
American Express Business Gold Card Full Review
This is a business rewards credit card. You’ll get the most value from this card if you’re a small business owner or sole proprietor and want to earn rewards on spending you can use toward future travel.
The Amex Business Gold charges a $295 annual fee.
You can earn 70,000 bonus Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of account opening.
Earn 4x Membership Rewards points in the two categories you spend most each billing cycle, among the following:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. gas stations
- U.S. online, TV and radio advertising
- U.S. restaurant purchases (including takeout and delivery)
- Computer hardware, software and cloud systems from select U.S. technology providers
- U.S. shipping purchases
These 4x rewards are automatically applied to your top two eligible spend categories, up to the first $150,000 in combined purchases. You’ll get 1x point per dollar on all other spending.
Amex Business Gold is different from standard credit cards, in that you’ll have no preset spending limit. You may carry a balance on some charges using Amex’s Pay Over Time feature, but not all. But with a variable APR between 16.49% and 24.49%, you should only charge business expenses to your Business Gold card you can afford to pay off each month.
Other fees include the $295 annual fee, a late payment fee up to $39 or 2.99% of your past due amount (whichever is greater), and returned payment fee up to $39. Late or returned payments may also result in a penalty APR up to 29.99% (See Rates & Fees).
How to Use American Express Business Gold Card
After you’re approved for the American Express Business Gold Card, start maximizing your rewards by spending at least $10,000 on eligible purchases within three months of card membership to earn the 70,000-point welcome bonus. Terms apply.
Use your card for any purchase you make within the 4x bonus category purchases throughout the year. You may want to strategize how you’ll allocate spending to maximize your two 4x points categories each month, or simply charge your regular spending as you typically would.
As you spend, be sure to pay down your balance in full each month. Even though you can carry a balance using Pay Over Time, the Business Gold’s variable APR can quickly add up and offset the value of any rewards earned.
And when you’re ready to cash in your points, maximize your redemptions. American Express Membership Rewards points are especially valuable for booking travel, and typically that’s where you’ll get the most lucrative redemptions. Not only can you use your points to book travel directly through AmexTravel.com, but you can transfer your points to Amex airline and hotel partners. These are current partners that allow point transfers, alongside their point-to-mile transfer ratios:
- Aer Lingus: 1,000:1,000
- Aeromexico: 1,000:1,600
- Aeroplan: 1,000:1,000
- Air France / Flying Blue: 1,000:1,000
- Millemiglia: 1,000:1,000
- ANA: 1,000:1,000
- Asia Miles: 1,000:1,000
- Avianca: 1,000:1,000
- British Airways: 1,000:1,000
- Delta Skymiles: 1,000:1,000
- Emirates: 1,000:1,000
- Etihad Guest: 1,000:1,000
- Hawaiian Airlines: 1,000:1,000
- Iberia: 1,000:1,000
- JetBlue: 250:200
- Qantas: 500:500
- Singapore Airlines: 1,000:1,000
- Virgin Atlantic: 1,000:1,000
- Choice Privileges: 1,000:1,000
- Hilton Honors: 1,000:2,000
- Marriott Bonvoy: 1,000:1,000
You can also choose to redeem for gift cards; directly for purchases with retailers like Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, or Boxed.com; and shop with your points through Amex.
American Express Business Gold Card Compared to Other Cards
American Express® Business Gold Card
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
- Intro offer:50,000 miles
- Annual fee:$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
- Regular APR:22.49% (Variable)
- Recommended credit:670-850 (Good to Excellent)
- Learn more At our partner’s secure site
Is the American Express Business Gold Card Right for You?
Whether or not the American Express Business Gold Card makes a good choice for you comes down to how frequently your business spends in the categories eligible for 4x points rewards.
If you can max out the bonus rewards on this card with $150,000 in combined spending each year (then 1x points), you can earn 600,000 Membership Rewards points in those categories alone. That’s worth $6,000 toward future travel when you book through AmexTravel.com.
While you can redeem points in ways other than travel, this card is best for frequent business travelers, as you’ll get the best value for travel redemptions.
One of the biggest perks of this card is the rewards flexibility — if your business expenses fluctuate each month, or you spend heavily in advertising in Q1 but the rest of your annual purchases are largely client lunches and site visits, your rewards follow your spending. Plus, Amex automatically rewards the categories in which your heaviest spending falls, so there’s no need to manually select categories each month.
But Amex Business Gold may not be the best card for every small business. If your spending falls outside these categories, a more general flat cash back card might be a better option. The annual fee can also be a barrier; if you don’t spend enough annually to offset the cost in rewards value, it’s likely not worth the $295 price tag.
On the other hand, the $150,000 cap in combined spending each calendar year may be limiting for larger businesses with higher costs. Compare this card’s value to others with no spending cap. They may charge higher fees or offer lower rewards percentages, but could bring you more value long-term.
*All information about the Capital One Spark Miles for Business has been collected independently by NextAdvisor and has not been reviewed by the issuer.
Your highest spend categories for 4x rewards are automatically applied each month, so you can maximize business expenses without having to manually choose and activate your categories.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the American Express Business Gold Card worth it?
If you can earn the welcome bonus and your business spends a lot within 4x bonus categories throughout the year, you can easily offset the Amex Business Gold Card’s $295 annual fee. Considering how frequently you’ll travel in the future can also help determine whether this card is worth it — it’s best suited for business travelers who can take advantage of Amex Membership Rewards travel redemptions for future flight bookings.
Is the Amex Business Gold Card metal?
Yes, the Amex Business Gold Card is a metal card.
How do you qualify for an American Express Business Gold Card?
Your approval for this card will depend on factors in your credit report and your credit score. The recommended credit range for applicants is good to excellent, or at least 670. Because this is a business card, you will also need to provide information about your business (which can encompass nontraditional businesses like freelance workers or sole proprietors) when applying.