Download the TIME Immersive App
For centuries, the Amazon rain forest was one of the last great wildernesses on planet Earth, where isolated tribes and untold species of animals lived undisturbed by outsiders. But today the Amazon stands close to a tipping point, as rampant deforestation combines with climate change to threaten the rain forest’s very existence. Now you can be a witness to the crisis unfolding in the Amazon with TIME’s “Inside the Amazon: The Dying Forest” AR (augmented reality) experience.
This immersive journey follows a team of journalists TIME sent deep into the Amazon. There, they met the indigenous people fighting illegal logging, the loggers cutting paths into the jungle, and the frontiersmen and women making an illicit living from the land. Guided by renowned primatologist and environmentalist Jane Goodall, you’ll explore tribal villages, inspect lumberyards and see for yourself how the Amazon is under threat. Our cutting-edge drone photography and 3-D photogrammetry of some of the most remote, difficult-to-reach and threatened locations takes readers deep into the disappearing Amazon in a way never seen before.
This story was supported by the Pulitzer Center.
Contact us at TIMEImmersive@time.com.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears