Lethabo Huma is a digital artist born in South Africa. The main theme of her art is centered around her emotional responses, thoughts and experiences as a young African woman. Huma was invited to TIMEPieces by Micah Johnson.
Title: Safe Haven
Protecting Black girls is explicitly what building a better future means, yet there are rarely any spaces built for them to grow, their voices are routinely suppressed, their bodies sexualized & their identities stripped from them.
The emotional, spiritual and mental wellbeing of a child needs to be nurtured and guarded, yet the world often sits, watches & uses them until they are older Black women and then uses them as a form of entertainment.
For years, Black women had to take care of themselves and everybody else around them, from being the single mother & helper who raises kids who aren’t her own, to being the only c-suite executive who has to outwork everyone for one-third the pay of “others.”
So, the future is currently being built by the only people who are protecting Black girls, and it’s Black women.
About the Artist
While she explores various media in pursuit of more precise methods of communication, Lethabo Huma is best known for her born-digital work: “I create digital paintings and illustrations but still follow traditional painting and drawing techniques in order to achieve expressive brushwork textures. I always strive to improve how I translate my emotions and the stories I share through my selection of muses and brushwork.”
View on OpenSea here.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was