Metro Boomin has helped to define the sound of the past decade of hip-hop. When I first heard of Metro Boomin, it was from his signature tags on tracks or shout-outs from the hugely successful artists he was producing for, like Future and Ye. I was impressed by the impactfulness of his work—there’s an urgency to it, a signature heightened drama. Later, when I began working with him, I was struck by his sense of openness, humility, and creativity. As a collaborator, Metro always has great creative ideas, but what really sets him apart is his great energy. His work ethic is incredible, and the recent albums he’s put out under his own name—including 2022’s chart-topping Heroes & Villains—are testaments to this. It’s clear that Metro Boomin is a leader, a trendsetter, a huge influence on music and culture. I’m excited to see what he will do next.
Legend is a Grammy-winning musician and activist
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time