When I think of Bella Ramsey, the phrase that comes to mind is radical honesty. Onscreen and off, their remarkable power is in an outright refusal of pretense or persona, choosing instead the riskier path: candor, generosity, and the bravery to be. The result is a formidable actor, and one of the most charming people you could meet.
Bella’s captivating screen presence has been undeniable from the start. Their first professional acting gig, seen by millions, was met with universal acclaim. Bella was only 11.
More from TIME
In the eight years since, they’ve become an inspiring figure in the LGBTQIA+ community, a radical force for change within film and TV, and were even nominated for an Emmy. Through it all, they maintained their grounded humility and exquisite, dry humor.
As a nonbinary person starting out as an actor, I feared there wasn’t space for me in the mainstream industry. Young trans and gender-nonconforming people coming into film and TV today will know that there is indeed space, in no small part because of Bella.
D’Arcy is an actor
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time