At 18, Trinity Rodman became the youngest player ever drafted into the National Women’s Soccer League—but she has the wisdom of a player that you’d think had been in the league for quite a bit longer. Her approach reminds me of Mia Hamm in some ways—especially her intelligence about the runs that she makes and when she makes them. Her work rate defensively is so impressive too. I saw her pick so many pockets in games. It was intense: she essentially closes in like a freight train on a hapless defender, and then she steals the ball. She’s also so personable and such a cut-up and a jokester, and she really likes to have fun with her teammates off the pitch. But she’s all business on it. I just respect her so much with how she’s handled herself. I really do. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for her and for the team. She could literally shred the fences internationally worldwide in time. That’s going to be really exciting to see, because I think as she grows, she will become unstoppable. Literally. It’s all there. The wealth of potential is off the charts.
Scurry is a soccer player and two-time Olympic gold medalist
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk