Enoch Wu wants to give every Taiwan citizen the know-how to protect their community. As the threat level rises from Beijing—which considers the self-ruling island a renegade province—Wu is providing civilians emergency-response training for both natural and man-made disasters. Workshops for his Forward Alliance NGO—backed but not financially supported by the U.S. government—are booked weeks ahead. An increasingly prominent adviser to the ruling Democratic Progressive Party, Wu navigates the intersection of politics, diplomacy, and citizenship.
Clarification: This story has been updated to clarify that the U.S. government supports Forward Alliance’s work but does not contribute money to the NGO.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk