Mykhailo Fedorov visited Brussels in May in his capacity as Ukraine’s Minister of Digital Transformation. It was so impressive to see what he had achieved in a very short time. Fedorov and his team make things happen. It is like it is in his DNA to take action.
He has never lost sight of what is most essential—every element of his work is intended to serve his community in the best possible manner. Previously, he was instrumental in making people see what a modern Ukraine looks like. And now, he is at the center of an effort to counteract Russian propaganda in real time. Russia is willing to use every available technology to misinform. And so Ukraine—with Fedorov’s leadership and guidance—has established a focused effort to combat that using social media, and keep his fellow citizens informed.
I like the ingenuity and dedication that I see in Fedorov and in many Ukrainian politicians. The drive for the country to become a member of the European Union will be good not only for Ukraine, but also for the rest of us.
Vestager is the executive vice president of the European Commission for a Europe Fit for the Digital Age
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time