Luisa Neubauer was one of the driving forces behind the emergence of Fridays For Future in Germany—a movement that brought 1.4 million people to the streets of German towns and cities in September 2019. A talented organizer and rousing public speaker, she has since become a powerful voice among a generation of young Germans who are taking a stand against inaction.
Fridays For Future have forced climate to the top of the political agenda in Germany. But still, Luisa understands that the pace and scale of change is not nearly enough. So, alongside other activists, she took the German government to court—and won. In April 2021, the country’s Supreme Court announced that the Climate Change Act lacked a detailed plan for reducing emissions and placed the burden for future climate action on young people.
For this reason and many others, Luisa’s vision, energy, and kindness continue to be an inspiration to me and other young activists around the world.
Nakate is a climate activist and the founder of Rise Up Movement
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time