Not many people celebrate a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden by smashing a champagne flute on their head, but when Machine Gun Kelly does, it just makes sense. When he is performing, you can’t help but love him even more because he puts on such a good show. You never know what he will do next. He might hang from a helicopter, climb up 60 feet of scaffolding, or zip-line across a stadium.
He’s grown in the most authentic way, starting as a rapper and evolving into one of the biggest rock stars in the world. I have a lot of respect for him and how thoughtful he is with his craft. And not only is he a great musician and songwriter—as heard on his recent album, Mainstream Sellout—but he also acts, directs, and is an amazing father.
He’s constantly raising the bar for himself and for the world around him. That attitude can inspire a new generation.
Lavigne is a Grammy-nominated musician
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement