I went to the premiere of The Bear with Ayo Edebiri and remember asking her, “How come you didn’t tell me you could act so good?!” As chef Sydney, she was so honest and gave one of the most clear-eyed portrayals of the modern working Black girl I’ve seen onscreen in a really long time. I felt so represented by Ayo’s character, and other people will too—it takes a lot of confidence and strength to give a performance that’s so grounded. I know she’ll take that humility with her as she starts a long, prosperous career. She’s a great friend and an even better actor.
Brunson is an actor, producer, and an Emmy-winning writer
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time