Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said the “ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Over the past few months, Congressman Adam Kinzinger has stood up for the truth when it was most challenging and least convenient. In the wake of the insurrection at the Capitol in January, Adam was the first Republican member of Congress to step forward and call for the removal of President Trump from office via the 25th Amendment. In standing up for what he believed was right, Adam proved the measure of his courage.
After serving two tours of duty in Iraq, Adam knows what it really means to sacrifice for your country. He understands that the willingness to do so is the minimum requirement of leadership. No job or title is worth more than your integrity.
Through his example, Adam is paving the way for others to follow their conscience. I believe he has a bright future ahead, but more important, he will be remembered well by history.
Hogan, a Republican, is the governor of Maryland
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now