I got to witness Yvonne Aki-Sawyerr’s energy firsthand when I met her on my first visit to Freetown, Sierra Leone’s capital city, in 2019. I’m a son of the soil, and during my stay, she gave me a lot of time and a lot of information about her work and vision as the mayor of Freetown. I was taking notes because, you know, Yvonne has plans.
Yvonne is the first female mayor to lead the city in decades, elected in 2018 after more than 25 years working in the public and private sectors. In January 2019, she launched the Transform Freetown initiative, a three-year, multi-pronged plan for the city’s development. Whether it’s in her efforts to clean up Freetown’s streets, fix its drainage systems, plant a million trees or implement property tax reform, Yvonne comes to her work as someone with a practical perspective on how to reinstate the glory of Freetown. Her young energy, genuine dynamism and can-do spirit are inspiring.
Elba is an actor and a producer
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases