Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is the world’s leading supplier of custom chips for laptops, smartphones and countless other devices produced by Apple, Huawei, Sony and more. Video gaming, live-streaming and 5G hinge on the connectivity and processing speeds TSMC provides. This year, its services became more essential than ever after the Trump Administration restricted U.S. companies from selling technology to China’s biggest chipmaker, inadvertently increasing demand for TSMC. The firm reported net income of $5.01 billion in the last quarter of 2020, up 23% year on year.
Correction, April 28
The original version of this story misstated the company’s name. It is Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, not Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp.
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time