Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is the world’s leading supplier of custom chips for laptops, smartphones and countless other devices produced by Apple, Huawei, Sony and more. Video gaming, live-streaming and 5G hinge on the connectivity and processing speeds TSMC provides. This year, its services became more essential than ever after the Trump Administration restricted U.S. companies from selling technology to China’s biggest chipmaker, inadvertently increasing demand for TSMC. The firm reported net income of $5.01 billion in the last quarter of 2020, up 23% year on year.
Correction, April 28
The original version of this story misstated the company’s name. It is Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, not Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy