Supermarket shelves are full of largely unregulated probiotics that aim to keep gut bacteria in balance. With its new drug Vowst, Seres has created something different: the first oral prescription treatment for the microbiome. Approved by the FDA in April, Vowst is a capsule full of carefully selected bacterial spores that together can suppress growth of C. difficile, which can cause life-threatening infections, and are a common complication in hospitals. In studies, Vowst was 88% effective in preventing repeat infections after two months. “This is a game changer for this patient population,” says Eric Shaff, president and CEO of Seres. It will be available starting in June.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time