India, now the world’s most populous country, is expected to see e-commerce sales nearly double by 2025 to $133 billion. Bangalore-based Meesho, the most-downloaded shopping app in the world in early 2022, caters to customers priced out by Amazon and Walmart. Unlike its competitors, Meesho doesn’t charge sellers a commission, which it says enables it to sell 60% of its products for less than $4, in reach for Indian families that make less than $6,000 a year. But the path to online-shopping domination won’t be smooth: while it expects to reach profitability this fiscal year, it’ll have to overcome challenges like rising competition from other companies.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time