Based in Fujian, China, Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. (CATL) is the world’s largest EV-battery maker, and the one to beat in battery tech. This spring it started mass-producing the new Qilin battery, which can extend EV range to 600 miles on a single charge. (U.S. EVs average about 300 miles.) In April, it unveiled new technology for a semi-solid-state lithium battery it says will store nearly twice as much energy as the best ones on the market today, further expanding EV range and bringing electric passenger planes closer. Most groundbreaking innovations come with caveats that commercial development is years off, but CATL says this one will be in production in six months.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time