Samsung and Apple are duking it out for first place in the global smartphone market, and the Korean conglomerate took the top spot in early 2023. When it comes to foldables, Samsung has become a dominant force. Apple is playing catch-up, with rumors that its first foldable is set for 2024 (or 2025), as Samsung releases fifth-gen Galaxy Z Fold and Galaxy Z Flip models this year. Samsung even partners with companies to allow, for example, YouTube videos to continue playing as a screen unfolds, or two Microsoft 365 apps to run side by side in split-screen mode. Beyond foldables, Samsung’s Galaxy S23 Ultra, released in February, pushes the camera-phone bar higher.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time