If 2022 was the year AI image generators shot into the public consciousness, then 2023 might be the year of AI video. Leading the way is Runway, a New York City–based startup building AI-backed “text to video” and video-editing tools that can help anybody—including the team behind the mind-bending, Oscar-winning film Everything Everywhere All at Once—turn their ideas into moving pictures much more cheaply than ever before. The platform has racked up millions of users, the company says. “So many of the stories we’ve told ourselves for the last 150 years are rooted in one idea of how film and videos and images work,” says Runway CEO Cristóbal Valenzuela. “We’re entering a completely new paradigm.”
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time