Type 2 diabetes care has long centered on management. Virta Health aims to flip that paradigm to focus on reversal: after one year, clinical-trial participants eliminated 63% of their diabetes-specific medications, and 94% reduced or eliminated insulin use. “Traditional disease management for chronic diseases hasn’t worked. It’s largely pharmaceutical-based,” president Kevin Kumler says. The program combines telehealth support with personalized nutrition to help patients develop better dietary habits, and can lead to significant weight loss. In the past year, Virta has partnered with a growing number of health-insurance plans, including Humana and Banner Aetna, making it more widely available.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time