Type 2 diabetes care has long centered on management. Virta Health aims to flip that paradigm to focus on reversal: after one year, clinical-trial participants eliminated 63% of their diabetes-specific medications, and 94% reduced or eliminated insulin use. “Traditional disease management for chronic diseases hasn’t worked. It’s largely pharmaceutical-based,” president Kevin Kumler says. The program combines telehealth support with personalized nutrition to help patients develop better dietary habits, and can lead to significant weight loss. In the past year, Virta has partnered with a growing number of health-insurance plans, including Humana and Banner Aetna, making it more widely available.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time