Ample’s battery-swap stations could help get more EVs on the road. Drive-in bays robotically swap drained batteries for fully charged ones in just five minutes, the company claims. The process can work in different vehicle models using adapter plates, so scaling the strategy requires close cooperation with vehicle makers; CEO Khaled Hassounah says the company is working with five automakers, including two major global ones. He thinks the booming consumer EV market needs swapping to grow even as plug-in charging expands and gets faster (it currently takes at least 30 minutes). This year, Ample got a $15 million grant from the California energy commission to boost production.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time