BYD is the world’s most important automaker that most Americans have never heard of. The Shenzhen-based firm may shun the U.S. market for political reasons, but it accounts for 39% of electric or hybrid cars sold in China—the world’s largest auto market—and is present in 53 countries and regions around the globe. The $100 billion firm—whose initials stand for “Build Your Dreams”—aims to become the world’s top EV maker by selling 3.7 million cars in 2023, compared with a projected 2 million for Tesla. Backed by Warren Buffett, and led by founder and CEO Wang Chuanfu, it’s a vital driver of the green-energy revolution as the leading clean-car brand in markets as diverse as Brazil, Colombia, Israel, and Thailand.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time