Social platform IMVU has long been a big player in the metaverse game, with 7 million monthly users. Last year, parent company Together Labs took things a step further with the launch of VCOIN, a blockchain-based cryptocurrency that users can spend within IMVU or convert to real-world money. VCOIN, the only active cryptocurrency for which the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has issued a no-action letter (giving it legal stability), creates the “building blocks” for other metaverses to establish their own future cryptocurrencies, says Together Labs CEO Daren Tsui.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement