Alphabet nearly doubled its annual revenue last year despite mounting regulatory pressure, thanks to both its continued dominance of online advertising and its investment in artificial intelligence (AI). Five years after CEO Sundar Pichai announced a wholesale embrace of AI, the tech giant is now using such technology “to tackle some of humanity’s most pressing challenges,” he says. For example, Alphabet helps users reduce their carbon footprint by providing eco-friendly routes in Maps, emissions data in Google Flights, and home-energy-use data with Nest thermostats.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time