Latin America’s traditional banking system is notoriously expensive, bureaucratic, and inaccessible, leaving an estimated 45% of adults across the region unbanked. Under CEO David Vélez, fintech and banking disrupter Nubank is leading the charge to change that by making it easier than ever for people to access the banking system via their mobile devices. It has the backing of influential investors including Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway, and grew its customer base by 62% last year to almost 54 million. Nubank also made its stock-market debut in December via a $2.8 billion IPO that lifted its market capitalization to over $50 billion, cementing its credentials as the world’s most valuable digital-only bank.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time